Monday, December 12, 2011

Santa Lucia December 13th

It was during my first visit to Sweden, deep winter of '77 (at 27) that I took a long journey mid-course of a Waldorf teacher training in Detroit , MI....deciding to explore my options of what to do in the coming year. Would I already go on right away to become a Waldorf teacher? ...or should I see if the arts were where i should focus more attention to at least for the present? The later was the case. Arne Klingborg was to become my main spiritual teacher and art mentor during the coming 15 years. I first studied '78-'79 on a course called the "Konstnarliga Linjen" or  'artistic line'. I studied with Klingborg, Fritz Fuchs, Rex Raab and John Wilkes...some of the foremost European 'light bearers' of art out of Anthroposophy in the 20th century. Each of these leading individuals took knowledge of Anthroposophy into the world through artistic/practical work.  These made a deep impression on me during my formative years.

So during that first visit that winter, I stayed in a student house called Tallevana. During one of the deep cold, crystal clear nights there with a heaven above that revealed  every star  imaginable!...I was woken even before the first glimmer of sunrise by something very, very heavenly...sweet music voiced by singing angels! Lo and behold in the absolute darkness, the door to the room opened slowly and in walked 3 or 4 most beautiful maidens and a young lad. They were completely clad in long white dresses. The first maiden bore a wreath of evergreen leaves with maybe 7 lit candles set in them upon her head and a belt of red ribbon and none wore shoes, only white socks. The others had a shiny silver ribbon around their heads. And the boy had a pointy hat upon his head with three stars on it and carried a baton with one star on the end. They bore gifts of freshly made little saffron buns. So who is Lucia?  ....please follow in tomorrow's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment